Applying for student finance in Northern Ireland, Scotland and Wales

In Northern Ireland, students can apply for:

  • Help with tuition fee costs
  • Help with the costs of living

Some students in various circumstances, such as students with a disability or long-term health condition, can et additional funding, or to help pay additional costs for childcare.

Visit Student Finance NI to explore what might be available to you and apply.

In Scotland, the Student Awards Agency Scotland is responsible for student finance.

If you live in Scotland and you are going to study at college, university or a private provider, you may be eligible for higher education funding. Funding is in the form of a bursary or student loan. The amount of bursary and student loan you get depends on your household income.

If you are studying in Scotland your tuition fees will be paid directly to your college or university. If you are doing a course elsewhere in the UK you can apply for a student loan of up to £9,250 to pay part or all of your fees. Read more in the full time funding guide.

If you live in Wales, you need to go to Student Finance Wales. You could get help with tuition fees and living costs. Most students can get a loan to pay for their tuition fees and a mixture of a loan and a grant to help with their living costs. You might also be able to get extra help on top of this, if you have children, an adult dependent or a disability.

Applications are open now in all three nations. Make sure you apply sooner rather than later to ensure your money arrives in your bank account before term starts to help you pay for your accommodation.